Monday, September 8, 2008

Pictures from the Embed in Bamyan

These are pictures from the trip I took as an "embed" with the New Zealand Armed Forces out in Bamyan. I was there doing research for my upcoming thesis project, and everyone there was incredibly helpful and open about their experiences and thoughts about the overall mission. Being embedded meant that I spent a night at their base near the airport, walking around and interviewing people I thought would be most relevent for my project. In the morning I had breakfast and left, heading over to the United Nations Habitat office where I sat in with a council meeting of about 25 local leaders, asking them about their experiences with the New Zealanders. It was fascinating being able to get both sides of the story like that, especially as the stories I heard from either side were often radically different.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattve/sets/72157607045508218/


Maori warrior, on a cabinet



"Kiwi" (New Zealander) with a huge gun



Schwartzenegger's garage in Sacramento



Dorms, with Buddha niche in the background



My ride to Bamyan this time...six seats for passengers



The mine and rocket garden...strange sense of humor



Rocket gnomes, naturally



6-foot cement kiwi on top of the guardhouse



The emblem of the All-Blacks, NZ's most famous rugby team

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing, Matt :) Take care and hope you're well =)