Monday, September 8, 2008

Final Pictures from around Kabul, and on the way home

Just the last of what I thought were interesting shots taken towards the end of my time in Afghanistan...and a couple from a fun interlude in Delhi, India on my way back home.

For all pics in this set, please check out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattve/sets/72157607047992114/


Asma and I, up on the roof of our NGO's office



Hangin' in the rug shop



A humvee comes roaring out of the dust at Bagram Air Force Base



Doh-e Shamshira Mosque, central Kabul, along the Kabul River



Two Indian guards at Delhi Int'l Airport...the guard on the right has made himself a hat out of newspaper...



...And this is me wearing that same hat. He also taught me how to salute properly.



Kid with kite of Afghan flag colors. Most kites flown in the city I saw were pretty make-shift like this, reflecting a lot of the astounding resourcefulness I saw on display in general over there.



Playing ultimate frisbee with other ex-pats. So necessary to get out and get some exercise!



Two guys at the rug shop help repair a cut on my foot, that I got from broken concrete blocks on Chicken Street. Thanks dudes. And Thanks to the Tufts health center for the tetanus vaccine!



What a spread. A lavish lunch with Dr. Ahmedi of the United Nations Habitat program



With friends Evan and Danny at a party



The bombed-out front of the Indian Embassy, a month or so after



Newly-restored mausoleum of Timur Shah



Local Council members in Parwan Province. These guys had trouble deciding on anything; no clear leadership. According to my translator Naweed, they even had trouble deciding whether or not to tell me the truth about some things I asked for research. Gentlemen, good luck to you all.

No comments: