Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Panjshiri Eyes


Would you believe this kid is Afghan? Only in Panjshir...



At a local council meeting, the mullah leader weighs a decision



Naweed Tanhaa, translator extraordinaire



Striking a Panjshiri pose



The Panjshir Valley

Here's a video of me up in the Panjshir Valley, homeland of the mighty mujahedin commander Ahmad Shah Massoud. I made a trip up to Panjshir a couple weeks ago for research, it's one of the PRTs I'm looking at. It was really revealing to sit in on a couple of their meetings and watch them discuss their local issues, talk about the Americans there and reveal their many secrets for beating the Soviets throughout the 1980s.

The Panjshiris have the most beautiful eyes, and many of them also look European (like the kid above). I kept thinking, "These are the original caucasians...White people even before they got to Europe!" Could be true, who knows. (Paging Dr. Jarod Diamond...) When people have said I look Afghan this summer, they've always said I look Panjshiri. Now I know why.

I'm currently writing this while "embedded" in New Zealand's military camp here in Bamyan. I just did about five big interviews with people here. All of the Kiwis have been laid back, totally chill and inviting. The New Zealander personality very much fits the relaxed security situation here in Bamyan. Plus, they had salmon in the mess hall tonight, and I ate three huge pieces. Consequently this is now my favorite PRT. Which could affect the impartiality of my research.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

funny, you look more like a dirty frenchman to me, but what do i know. glad you're well matty, come home soon, to much derision and respect

Unknown said...

hey matt! what a great video. (it's also great to hear your voice!) looks like your time in afghanistan has been amazing, and a great learning experience. thanks for sharing it all with the rest of us!

Eli Morales said...

HI Matt. I've roamed through your blog a bit. I wish my blog could be as well documented as yours. It's hard to type or take photos when your finger tips are always caked in dirt and what not. I look forward to sitting late night on that bench near the water and listening what you have to say about it all.

Eli
www.elionthefarm.blogspot.com

mindy said...

Matt,

We're looking forwward to hearing all about your travels in person in the near future and rockin' out with you in golden gate park. wishing you safe travels home!

mindy & adam

mindy said...

i'm sure you are afghanistan-ed out right now, but CNN has a pretty intersesting "special investigation" program on called "Afghanistan: Lifting the Veil." You can probably track down a copy of it somewhere online.